What documents do I need to prepare my tax return?
Here is what you need to prepare your nonresident tax return:
- Form W-2 from each employer or last payslip can be used instead – Copy.
- Social Security Card (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) – Copy.
- Passport – Copy of 1st page.
- Visa – Copy.
- DS-2019 for J visa holders or Form I-20 for F visa holders – Copy.
- US entry and exit dates for current and previous visits if applied.
Note: If you are missing any of these documents – No Problem! You can still apply for income tax refund. TAX FROM US will assist you in gathering any missing documents required.
I don’t have a SSN, can I still apply?
Yes, you can apply. If you have never received SSN or you are not eligible for SSN, you will need to get a temporary tax number instead. In order to get Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) you will need to file Form W-7. Tax From US can do it for you on your request.
What is Form 8843?
Form 8843 is a Statement for Exempt Individuals and Individuals With a Medical Condition. If you are an alien individual, file this form to explain the basis of your claim that you can exclude days present in the USA when you were an exempt individual or were unable to leave the USA because of a medical condition or medical problem.
Who Must File Form 8843?
All nonresident aliens present in the USA under F, J, H, M, Q nonimmigrant status must file Form 8843 even if they received NO income during the tax year. Form 8843 must be filed if an individual is:
- present in the USA
- a nonresident alien
- present in the USA under F, J, H, M, Q status
If an individual meets all three qualifications above, the individual must file Form 8843, regardless of the individual's age and even if the individual is not required to file a US income tax return (Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ).
Do I have to file Federal Tax Return?
If you are any of the following, you must file a return:
- You worked in the USA
- You received stipend, grant or allowance in the USA
- You didn't work in the USA, in this case you need to file Form 8843